Thursday, January 21, 2016

My First Antarctic Foot-Race

Now that I have gracefully entered my 30's, I avoid the sport of running as part of my "anti-aging" regime. Whenever my friends back home suggest we sign up for some charity run, I conveniently have "other plans" that weekend.

But if you say that the race is going to be in Antarctica and that I can wear a costume, I'll be the first idiot to sign up.
On Thanksgiving Day, McMurdo Station held it's annual 5K Turkey Trot. The route covered the road next to the sea ice from McMurdo Station to Scott Base (the New Zealand station nearby).

Before the race started, I sauntered up in my 1980's prom dress with my Go-Pro camera ready to take on this continent and have some fun. To my dismay, the starting line was full of "serious runners" who must have missed the memo about wearing a fun costume.



















(Fortunately a couple of the guys were running in ballerina tutus so I didn't feel completely out of place).













After sprinting uphill directly into the sub-zero winds for the first 1.5 miles, I suddenly realized that beginning my running career in Antarctica was not the smartest of life decisions. 
















Running on this continent sucks for three reasons:

1) The extreme cold makes your lungs want to collapse and explode at the same time.

2) You are in constant danger of rolling your ankle on one of the many HUGE volcanic rocks strewn all over Ross Island.

3) If you don't roll your ankle on a volcanic rock, you will most likely fall face-down on a patch of ice and break a tooth.
















Whatever you do, Kelly, do NOT throw up. You are wearing your favorite costume, and you are being filmed from several different angles.






Somehow I refrained from vomiting, and I managed to muster up a "Forrest-Gump sprint" the last half mile of the race.





And there I was, duking it out for "middle-ish" place with some out-of-shape military guy for a photo finish! 



I have since then retired from my illustriously-mediocre running career.



Big thanks to my friend Robert from the Air National Guard for putting this awesome video together!

No comments:

Post a Comment