Sunday, November 8, 2015

"Conquest Syndrome"

Ah yes....The good old days! BACK WHEN SHIPS WERE MADE OF WOOD AND MEN WERE MADE OF STEEL.
This ad was placed in The London Times in 1914 by Sir Earnest Shackleton, recruiting men for his epic Endurance Expedition.

The plan was to traverse the entire Antarctic continent via the South Pole. Disaster struck this expedition when their ship became trapped in the ice and was slowly crushed before the shore parties could land. The crew escaped by camping on the sea ice for the rest of the winter. After many months of waiting for the sea ice to melt and break apart, the harve-starved crew rowed their life boats 720 nautical miles to the nearest inhabited island off the South American coast. Shackleton did not lose a single man. He embodies the spirit of survival and determination against the harshest of conditions.

Shackleton was knighted for his many conquests in Antarctica 100 years ago. Although he is one of the principle figures of the "Heroic Age" of Antarctic Exploration, his life was restless and unfulfilled. He died in relative obscurity, leaving heavy financial debts in his wake.

As someone who personally struggles with restlessness and unfulfillment, Shackleton's story tugs at my heart strings. It is a somber reminder that my conquests on earth can fade as quickly as the sea ice can melt. I have wandered the world for over a decade, and none of my earthly adventures will every bring me fulfillment. My only true adventure is chasing my Heavenly Father and eventually exploring my permanent home in Paradise. 

I wonder if Jesus will let me blog in heaven?


No comments:

Post a Comment