Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Thrifting In Antarctica





"I wear your granddad's clothes. I look incredible...."
Macklemore










Folks, I pride myself in being a Thrift Store Aficionado. If I call a place a “Scrounger’s Heaven,” that’s basically like getting your book endorsed by Oprah. Everyone gets the on the band wagon.
I recently stumbled across something wonderful here at McMurdo Station called "Skua."

Skua is the name of a dingy, slightly-neglected building that is full of treasures. Basically it is an Antarctic thrift store. BUT EVERYTHING IS FREE!!! 

Anyone can wander around this building and rummage through the boxes and shelves for leftovers and freebies given away by people leaving McMurdo (Usually because they have to shed some weight in their luggage allowance). This is an excellent place to put together crazy outfits for the many costume parties held at McMurdo Station throughout the season. You can also find decorations or little housing items for your dorm room.

 SKUA (appropriately named after the pesky, gull-like, scavenger birds that fly around McMurdo station terrorizing the scientists) IS LEGIT!

For example, today I visited Skua, and I scored big-time:

Table lamp, water boiler, a humidifier, black-out curtains, fur leg warmers, a killer 80’s jumpsuit, a 60’s hippie poncho, bright orange pumps (shoes), a Seinfeld pirate shirt, Christmas lights, shelves, some audio books, a sexy cocktail dress (which I am redesigning for our upcoming masquerade ball), and a down jacket….All Free.99!!!

(Not a bad day for a cheap Scotswoman like me)

I have been living at McMurdo Station for less than 6 weeks, and Skua has made the ridiculously long journey to this frozen wasteland well worth my time. I am looking forward to more "Antarctic thrifting" throughout the season. 


2 comments:

  1. That's great, but when you come home you will have to figure out what to leave behind.

    ReplyDelete